Exhaust fans are a very important part of any household. But a main problem with exhaust fan is it gets very dirty over a period of time. The exhaust fans of your kitchens and the fans of your bathrooms go through hell, dispelling all the smoke and odour. They collect massive amounts of dirt and if they are not periodically cleaned they will slow down or even at some points break down. You can buy exhaust fan in tandem but if you do not clean them periodically, they will break down and leave your household a giant chamber of bad odour.
How to clean your exhaust fan?
Exhaust fan cleaning is very important for serenity of your household. Here are a few tips on how to clean your exhaust fan properly. For long lasting benefits, follow these steps regularly:
- Prep for the clean session – Cleaning an exhaust fan is a pretty cumbersome process. Before you start the cleaning process, you need to arrange for all the cleaning materials like detergent, wet cloth, dry cloth, lubricating oil, kerosene oil, ammonia and a few more ingredients of your choice. Unplug the exhaust fan from the power supply and disconnect all switches to it. Carefully unscrew the blades of the fan and keep them immersed in a concoction of kerosene oil. If your fan is at a height, arrange for a ladder and make your work easier.
- Cleaning the mesh – Most exhaust fans have a mesh attached to them. You need to check if you have it too. If you have it, remove it gently. Now remove the mesh and place it in a mixture of boiling water and ammonia for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes are over, gently bring it up and gently clean them with a scrub.
- Cleaning the blades – Cleaning the blades of an exhaust fan is the hardest part of the whole process. You need to place them in a solution of kerosene oil for at least half an hour. After that, bring them out and clean them with a dry cloth. Due to it being submerged in the oil, the grease and the soot and all other undesirables will start coming off. After you have given them a thorough scrub down with the dry cloth, soak the other cloth in a solution of detergent and warm water. Scrub the fan blades with this and it will look like new blades again. After this step, clean the blades with a clean cloth and set aside.
- Lubricate the joints – After you have cleaned the essential parts of the fan, it is now time to lubricate all the joints in the fan. With the lubricating oil, lubricate all the screws and nuts and bolts and every other thing in the fan. This will help the fan motors to run smoothly.
- Re-assemble the parts back – After you are done with all this, carefully screw the mesh and the blades back into the fan, plug it in and switch it on. It is brand new again.
Polar is one of the leading exhaust fan manufacturers in India. If your fan is beyond cleaning repair, buy a brand new exhaust fan from them to serve your ventilation needs.